Hair Loss, Prevention and Solutions - UPDATE
Salon Owner and Master Stylist
Disclaimer: I am not a Doctor and this article is written strictly from my 22 years of experience as a professional hair stylist. This article is not intended to diagnose or cure anything. If you have or suspect you have a medical condition resulting in hair loss, please see your health care provider at the soonest opportunity.
With that out of the way, there are several factors which can result in hair loss, and yes, age is one of them. Is there something you can do about hair loss? In my personal experience the answer is a resounding YES, you can! Is hair loss completely preventable? I honestly don't know. The KEY thing to remember in treating hair loss is that you have to do SOMETHING (it doesn't magically stop all by itself) and that the SOMETHING you do has to be done routinely and consistently.
Hair loss may be the result of several different factors, including diet, reactions to medications, stress, etc., but the majority of people I have noticed suffering hair loss are those who have experienced a MAJOR PHYSICAL CHANGE, such as pregnancy, major weight gain or loss, surgery or some other Life Shocking Experience, and they start noticing hair loss about three months later. The good news is - IT USUALLY COMES BACK!
My VERY FIRST recommendation is to search out a really great nutrition specialist that can help you with hair loss.
My NEXT recommendation is get a water filter. And have yours checked routinely! Big factor in hair loss. You don't have to purchase a fancy water system for your hair if its not in the budget. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and go to the water filter isle. Get one that fits your shower head. Should not cost you more than $25. This will also help if you have your hair colored and will be a big help in preventing color fadage. It will not re-place using the right shampoos and conditioners for your hair.
Another major factor in hair loss is BAD WATER. The area where I live has horribly hard water, which gets so bad a times that I start noticing considerable hair loss on my clients. Because of this I've researched ways to help them find solutions. It actually gets so bad sometimes that I observe considerable hair loss on some clients, which is why I simply had to help find some solutions for them.
Another question I get asked is - "Does hair color, chemical straightening or perms cause hair loss?" My answer is no, not in my experience. A bad, non-professional application of these could cause hair "breakage" which occurs from breaking at the shaft, not coming out of the root. (but this is not the same as hair falling out of the scalp itself) so don't blame your Professional Hairdresser for baldness.
Products and Solutions.
Here are some products and solutions that I have found to actually work for hair loss. Some of these don't work for everyone, other do. And yes, some of these items can be purchased in my shop or elsewhere … the point here isn't about making a sale but to help you. I will be adding to this list and updating this article as I find more workable solutions.
1. My all-time favorite product is NIOXIN, a professional Salon line of hair care products. They have a great deal of information on hair loss on their website and their products are amazing. They have shampoos, scalp treatments and more, and further information can be obtained from any Salon that carries the line. The two best NIOXIN products that I consider "must-haves" are the FOLLICLE BOOSTER and the VITAMINs - follow the directions exactly and they WORK.
2. Next is a Chinese herb called "Yang Xue Sheng Fa Capsules" - which is herbal and stimulates scalp circulation. This herb seems to work for many people, although I really wouldn't be able to give you the technical explanation of HOW or WHY, sorry!
3. Third is a product called "Ultra Hair Plus", which can be purchased at many health food stores.
4. I also met a lady who claimed to have lost her hair completely - TWICE! She now has thick, beautiful hair and actually wrote a book about her experiences and what solutions she found to fully handle her hair loss. Her name is Jeanne Powers and her book can be found at TheRapunzelChronicles.com.
5. My other main solution is to have my client install a water filter directly on their shower. These are available quite inexpensively from any home improvement store and last about three months before the filter needs to be changed. Even if your entire house has "filtered" water, getting the extra filter on the shower head you use to wash your hair most often will help to greatly reduce hair loss. And do NOT be afraid to wash and brush your thinning hair normally. Some people tend to wash and brush their hair less if it is thinning, thinking less will fall out if they handle it less often. In reality, quite the reverse is true! Thinning hair NEEDS the added circulation provided by routine wishing and brushing, so don't neglect it.
6. I've also had clients who had trouble with thinning hair and my solutions above didn't get the expected results. These I sent to a naturopath / nutritionist and they discovered a weak thyroid (or what have you) and when THAT was handled the hair started coming back using my advice as above.
As far as Rogaine goes…I really have no data. I have one client who used it and said it worked.
Remember, above all, that something CAN be done about it and the key is to make a change, try these ideas and see for yourself which gives you the best and fastest results for your hair.
Lots of Luck!
Owner & Master Stylist
INTUITION Salon and Spa
16 N. Ft. Harrison Ave
Clearwater, FL 33755
2053 Central Ave
St. Petersburg, FL 33715